Tuesday 29 March 2011

My relationship is criminal

Quite literally -
The law as it is written in Canada would land me in jail for 5 years because I love 2 people and choose to live with them.

I have been married to my husband for almost 17 years.  I identified as a striaght married womand who was not interested in anything even resembling anything outside of a vanilla lifestyle for most of my life.

Almost 3 years ago I fell unexpectedly and madly in love with a woman.  So did my husband - with the same woman.  And she fell in love with us.  just over 2 years ago she moved in to our home and we have shared our life and been a family ever since.  Now my husbands father lives here as well. 

Under the current Canadian law each of the adults in this house, including my father-in-law, can be jailed for 5 years.  The way the law is written there does not have to be proof that there is a sexual relationship.  Roomates who all share a house and are platonic could be jailed just as easily.

The law as it is written is currently being challenged in court in BC.  The closing arguments are happening this week.  I have no idea what the outcome will be.  Either I will still be living like a criminal or it will be decriminalized but still not be legal. 

I just want the laws to be written to be fair and reasonable - not to dictate how people can love and live.

No comments:

Post a Comment